Sunday, December 24, 2006

One of Those Days!

Van repairs- including labor- $240.00

Trip to Urgent Care- $110.00

Replacing car's winshield wiper motor and wipers- $80.00

Having Matt home for Christmas Break
-
PRICELESS!

So, here is the story--the abridged version. . . Thursday was Matt's first day of Christmas break. For the second time in about two weeks we had to take our van into the Mazda dealership for repairs. It happened to be pouring rain that morning, so our second vehicle (which we would use for the remainder of the day) also needed to be repaired since the drivers' side windshield wiper didn't work. So we headed out Thursday morning and planned to do some Christmas shopping at the mall while both our vehicles were being repaired(thankfully Firestone auto center is in the mall parking lot).
Anyway, not thinking ahead to grab the stroller out of the van, we had no containment for Silas (mistake #1). So, Matt took Sara with him and I took Silas and we went our separate ways to shop. I took Silas into N.Y. & Co. (mistake #2) and within minutes he was all over. Knowing this was only going to get worse I called Matt on my cell, we met up and we switched kids(even though Sara wanted to stay with daddy). So, back into N.Y. & Co., only this time I have the more cooperative child. Our rule is-"stay where I can see you, and don't touch anything that doesn't belong to you." HA! Sara was doing well with the first part, but not so much the second-which is fairly normal. I had been looking at clothes on the clearance rack, when all of a sudden I hear a crash.(mistake #3) I turn to see Sara on the ground with the board that I assumed had made the crashing sound. My response--"Sara, what are you doing?!" As I approached Sara, who was only steps away from me, I notice she had blood flowing out of her head and down her face--YIKES! I scooped her up and quickly headed out of the store. (Apparently Matt had returned about that time and heard the commotion, but had no idea what had happened--needless to say, the rest of the details at this point are insignificant and not really a pretty picture to re-live anyway, so I will spare all of you.) Two and a half hours later, Sara has five stitches across the top of her eye, and a large bruise on her cheek. It was quite the day- Oh, and Matt had a fundraiser for his senior class that he had to be at for the remainder of the day. Thankfully, the Stuckey family came to our rescue and transported Matt to where he needed to be, and then took Silas to get some lunch and a nap.
It's been quite an eventful Christmas break!

5 comments:

Esther said...

Oh my word!! Her fist stitches!! Poor girl - poor mommy - poor everyone! What a day. And you didn't call me in the midst of it? Oh, I'm not there anymore and can do nothing to help - I feel terrible. I'm sorry! We're all looking at the pictures right now - we send our sympathy! Reghan is very concerned for her.

FranknSteph said...

How were you? How did she do when they stitched her up?
Thankfully, they forget about it pretty quickly and heal fast! Since she's young, she probably won't have too much of a scar either! (My middle 2 both had stitches in their foreheads - one in Target) We will be praying!

Matt & Nicki said...

I was a little frantic in the beginning knowing BOTH cars were in the shop, but fine after we got her cleaned up in J.C. Penny's bathroom. She did REALLY well--I was surprised. The needles were not fun of course, and then the last two stitches she felt b/c that side didn't numb enough:(
She just got them taken out yesterday. She's doing well-thanks!
One of yours got hurt at Target huh, what happened?

FranknSteph said...

We were having Amber try on Easter dresses. Luke was 15 mos and we were all in the dressing room. He tripped and his head hit the un-rounded counter top bench in the dressing room. He cried a little at first, but mainly he was calm as we walked through Target with blood streaming down his face! He had 5 stitches and did really well. (We did still buy the dress before we left!)

Matt & Nicki said...

Good work Steph--Next time around I am sure I will be more calm:) I put the white shirt down that I had in my hand, and it's probably a good thing b/c i had blood on me as well.